Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Deafening Silence, salsa with alsa.

After so long I decided to install and enable alsa support on my debiana. And for non-gnu people, Debiana, is actually a Debian distro--(I give all my pc a name, since I'm a lonely person and giving them women names is an excuse for my reclusive lifestyle)

After uninstalling aumix, and installing alsa-utils and most of alsa stuff, i still had no sound on my debiana. I then realise that I had to run alsamixer to crank up the volume a little. After that things was working fine for my xmms and mplayer. Of course I had to change their configuration to use alsa now.

However, I noticed some applications still had problems. I then found out that applications like firefox and gaim are oss applications. Hence, I had to install something call alsa-oss, an alsa wrapper for oss applications.
How easy that was, with just a quick apt-get install, and i tried running my gaim again. Still, I get no sound. I then realise that since I'm using enlightenment, maybe i need to use esd. Quickly I installed esd (enlightenment sound daemon), run gaim, went to preferences and force it to use esd. And wala, debiana can talk again. Sexy, I also tried running some flash animation sites on firefox, to test for sound. Beautiful, things is just working again, in fact better. Now I can salsa with my alsa.:)

9 comments:

  1. ingatkan ko dah kena racun ngan jep pakai gentoo :P
    miss my debiana :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey bro, ada tak mamat Zafrul tu contact you on the free lance PHP tu? Anyway, bila kita nak duduk sembang-sembang ni? Ami pun dah balik, berabok spekong London, lets lah get together. It's been so long. Kan? You good? Lani good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sista, Ader gak contact, tapi dia nak fulltime, bukan part time freelance. I guess I cannot commit on something like that.
    Anyway, yeah, I would like to meet up with everyone, since Ami pun dah speak the english jer macam orang poteh....sure....you set up, kita set jer...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey bro, I'm looking for a sys admin or sys engineer lah, you kenal sapa-sapa yang proficient enough in the above matter - linux, and tgh cari keje, tak mengharap gaji yang tinggi melampau sangat. I nak employ sorang, baru landed on a project lah bro. Full time, part time pun ok actually. Tolong pass the ad around. Thanks ya!

    Ok, jom kita jumpa mat salleh mat salleh celups itu... hampeh... dulu, memanjang broken, sekarang ni takat crooked je lah... ye lah, depa cakap omputeh ngan omputeh kan... hahaha...

    apa-apa email lah bro. You've got my email address kan?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok...ill spread the word, but no gurrantees yer...
    Ader orang jer, aku suruh dia call ko...

    ReplyDelete
  6. wei nadira dey...
    bila mau masuk konai daa

    ReplyDelete
  7. wah!...
    lama tak dengar citer abinux ni!!!
    ada peluang kerja part time kat natsys ker?..
    nak apply bole?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wei korangs-korangs sekalian...

    Jep, apa itu konai?

    Jom main badminton balik. Aku dah gemuk ni.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooo ini kah project abah ari ahad nie.. isk isk isk..

    nadira,
    konai nie geng2 komnas punya online group.. nanti hang jumpa abah suruh la dia add hang.. konai nie kira ala-ala priory of sion cuma bukan berkenaan agama ;)

    ReplyDelete

I don't really wish to moderate any comments, but its necessary to avoid spammers.