Monday, April 23, 2007

Annoying Beeps

After having a new installation of Debian on my laptop, an annoying beep comes out of my laptop speakers every time i pressed the tab button on the X console, or whenever i do some kind of shell error. It's annoying, it keeps on beeping....
I tried to ignore the problem, hoping that selective hearing will prevail, but after making a scene in the meeting room with beeping havoc coming from my laptop during the last meeting, which I got a little too much attention from my boss. That's it, I decided to find ways to get rid of this problem once and for all.

So I googled to find an easy and minimal work around solution. One way was to edit /etc/inputrc and comment out....
set bell-style none

There was also an alternatives to this, which is to rmmod pcspkr, add it into the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist to make sure it doesn't get loaded again.

Now i can slowly and quietly steal precious time and not waste my time listening to the boss rambling during my department meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't really wish to moderate any comments, but its necessary to avoid spammers.