Wednesday, May 02, 2007

When men buys shoes....

Recently, I got a few friends to come along with me for rock climbing. I have not been to the rock climbing gym for a while due to the fact that not a lot of people share this interest of climbing rocks. A lot more people prefer golf. Don't get me wrong, I like golf too, its just that I haven't found the right crowd yet.

I hate going to the gym or carry weights, cause it doesn't excite me that much and there is hardly a challenge going to the gym other than how many times you can do sit ups and how heavy you can bench.

So today, Nadira (who was one of the most enthusiastic friend of mine in rock climbing) met at the rock climbing gym for some climbing challenge. Today was the day for us to get some rock climbing shoes to perfect ourselves in climbing and also to enter a competition in rock climbing on the 20th of May. Actually, entering the competition will get us 20% discounts on the shoes. So who cares about losing when you can get 20% discount.

It took me a while to get a pair of shoes. According to the sales lady, men usually takes a longer time choosing their shoes. Yeah, it took me a while, I had to try a few pairs to be satisfied. Imagine a lady getting high heel shoes. Today, I'm the fussy lady getting the shoes. But its not that a man really spends time on getting shoes, most of time it would take me 2 minutes to decide on which sneakers to buy. It was expensive too, I couldn't believe that I will be spending that much, but I really need to feel it you know....I want to be comfy while climbing, I want to look stylist while climbing, and I want to look and feel cool while climbing. Now I know why women take hours trying out shoes.

Rock climbing shoes are specially designed to be tight and snug, so that it doesn't slip off when you climb. The shoes are also designed to have a very small front tip for your toes, so that you can step on the smallest minute piece of rock and still get a firm grip. Ultimately, the whole surface is used to maximize friction, making it easier for you to climb. Hence, wearing it for the first time really hurts, cause its tight and it feels like my toes are being crushed together. The amazing part of it, now I can stand on my toes....like a ballerina. Fortunately, rock climbing don't require me to where spendex, unlike balle (what an ugly sight that would be if spendex is a requirement for rock climbing.) So I guess I have to make it a serious hobby now, cause does damn shoes aren't cheap. And I hope it won't be one of those hot bubbles...But with a pair of shoes, I can go alone....(I kinda like the lone ranger, hero, adventure feeling.)

Anyhow, the picture below is the kinda shoe I finally settled to buy. Like I said, I tried a few, but this one--model named Pearl--seems to fit nicer, the others kinda hurt. I think its easier for a women to wear since women are used to high heels being narrow at the front toe.

Well, hopefully, one day I can go on my own climbing adventures and advance to lead climbing. Which is climbing without a belayer support, sometimes also called free climbing, like Thomas Mrazek(notice the shoes he is wearing), a professional climber . I don't think I want to make it as a day job, but I would be happy if one day I look and feel half as fit as this guy.

7 comments:

  1. I wish I'm in your shoe, this particular shoe :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like this sports!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wan and Marjan,

    Get your shoes too, lepas tu we both can hang loose....

    ReplyDelete
  4. guess now, we wont expect you to complaint on how you had to wait for your wife/gf/mom/sis trying and shopping for shoes. ehehehe ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cosmic Freak,
    Well, I won't say that I will totally stop complaining, but I think I would be more understanding....

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice climbing shoesssss man! I have the same problem buying driving shoes (perasan Im Suki out of Fast & Furious ler)

    ReplyDelete
  7. pure_evs,
    There is such thing as driving shoes ker...heheheh

    ReplyDelete

I don't really wish to moderate any comments, but its necessary to avoid spammers.