Monday, January 02, 2006

It's all a fairy tale.

Ever since I started work again, I find myself having less time to talk about myself in this blog (now, that could be a good thing, since I can be very boring and self-centered most of the time). But, this is the new year--2006--and I want to make sometime for myself to rethink about some setbacks in life, retrospect on the past and get hindsight about the reality of life for the last, almost 29 years of my life.

What I'll be talking about is something metaphorical, the good life of richness and wealth, also known in this context as milk and honey.

Year end 2005, as I was talking to a friend in a Cafe, a subject about why are we here came up? The discussion came to a few questions left unanswered. For example, years ago, when we were younger, our teachers, our parents and every single adult we met told us that we should work hard, study hard and a life of milk and honey will await us. And so we did, we worked hard. We studied hard. We put aside the fun menacing life that we could have, that could have been, a lifetime memory to be remembered. Today, we find it hard to drink milk or even look at honey, speaking figuratively. It is as if we were told to believe in a fairy tale. Something much similar to believing in Santa Claus (be good and you'll get your present this christmas) and the tooth fairy. Semuanya, cerita dongeng.

It left us baffled as to why we find those who seemed to be an idiot in school, a loser to friends and a moron to teachers are now seen as the bearer of milk and honey. Why? Is it nepotism? Is it politics? Is it corruption? What could it be? What's the secret ingredient that would allevate a human's social status?

But there are also those who were losers, and remain losers. There are those who were idiots who are now millionaires. And there are some ugly people out there, who turns out to be rich and handsome. Of course there are people who are ugly before and today are uglier and fat. It seems that there are no positive co-relation to a successful life. Or atleast, we can't find a good explanation for their misfortune or their good fortune.

The path of good life, seems to occur without explanation. Some are lucky to merry someone rich. Some are unlucky to merry someone who is an adulterer. Some are lucky and unlucky to get both? Did the lucky ones did something right in the past that they deserved remuneration and the unlucky ones did something terribly wrong in the past that they deserved a scourged life?

We come to realise one thing that seems unexplainable. The river of milk and honey is not something that flows to whom that deserves it. But it flows in random chance and disorder, and god is the person with the magic hand that decides where the river should flow. Or atleast that's the best way we can explain such injustice.....

As for me, I'm glad that I led a mediocre life. I was not such a goody-goody good boy in school. I'm glad I was the guy known to teachers as Joey the Menace. I'll be really disappointed today if I really believed in the fairy tales they told us before, cause at least today, I have an excuse for a life of mediocrity.

Finally, our conclusion to the discussion was, "rezeki itu datangnya dari tuhan". Good fortune comes from the almighty god, creator of heavens and earth. What else can you say about it? Science obviously can't explain it.....

11 comments:

  1. Don't we all think of that once in a while..especially when you see the idiots and morons you used to know in school turned out to be the bearer of the milk and honey...and you, who worked your butt off,still struggling to get the similar milk and honey. Life is tough and unfair,but your conclusion says it all, joey. :) Have a great year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy new year Joey...
    "rezeki itu dr Tuhan"
    but it comes along with the effort and prayer from us..
    have fun in 2006...
    havva great year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are we approaching quarter life crisis here or what :)
    Seriously speaking i agree with you.. life is weird you just never know what it has in store for you and u inevitably come to this conclusion that God is there determining that for us. I remember the Intrix days when we used to bitch about the world and how we were supposed to be millionaires but stuck in the wrong place... ahh what can you say life oh life..!
    Happy New Year! -S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, one thing you can really hold on to is your knowledge and experience. Dude...you're one of the smartest ppl i have met (the other is luth..hehehe) So, hold on to that and you will be creating honey and milk...;) 2006 will be a better year for everyone i know...I can smell it! hehehe take care. Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fara,
    You have a good year yourself.

    Jaja,
    Yes, pray for me...:)

    Saniya,
    Yeah, think we are just getting old. I'm hitting 30 you know.

    Evelyne,
    I think I smell it too. Wait..., thats just the guy next to my cubicle. Think he needs to take a shower...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, at first I totally agreed to ur milk and honey hypothesis but when I think back, our current live now is the _said_ milk and honey. We could have been worst. If I were not to pass my upsr,srp and spm I can't even think of having my Maya Karin... let alone my crappy Kenari.

    I were to play Sega console all day long like nobody business ..during the days of our child life, I'm pretty much fuck up now. Every report card will be fying red color so...no college..no univ...no chicks.. no future!!! We might not even met at our old offce..maybe on the street though,when you wanna bye pirate DVD

    What we can do now is try..try try and if there is rezeki we will see it at the end of the tunnel "ssh -L"

    As mawi said.."Saya percaya pada rezeki" :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jep,
    Yup, milk and honey....we do get it. Just not as much as we want it to be:)
    But I'm greatful nonetheless....You're right

    Amran,
    I'll take the red pill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. amran,
    I seriously think that we are in the Matrix. This world is the Matrix. Its temporary and the real life is the life after the judgement day. Our realself is our soul and this loner unit that we use now ( our body) is only temporary.

    If in this so called Matrix life sucks, well its only temporary. One should be more concern of the _real_ life..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joey,
    I agree with Jep....... we do have our milk and honey, but then again, you're right, Joey.... not enough....... sometimes "kena catu". hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  10. that matrix movie manyak teruk laa...'specially itu matrix reloaded. Tanya itu oracle la how come we ended up this way?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just not as much as we want it to be:)

    memang dah dasar kita manusia... dapat banyak mana pun kita still kata tak cukup beb...

    ReplyDelete

I don't really wish to moderate any comments, but its necessary to avoid spammers.