Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Oh, he is such a cool Uncle :)

So what did you guys do for last Raya Haji? I took monday off from work and stretch my weekend all the way through to tuesday. It's just so nice to have so much free time in your hands. So what did I do? On Satuday and on Sunday, I did some coding for my freelance work. I was suppose to submit a php program that was suppose to be used somewhere in the UK. I'm not very sure what the outcome is, but I'm hoping they will pay me nontheless. That sunday night, I was coding again. I know, you're thinking, this guy is such a geek. But its for a worthy cause, I did some programming before for an online testing system to test some of my students. It's a pretty lame web application which is not worth anything much, but could be used by others for creating online exams on the web. So why the hell not, I've put it on OSCC knowledge bank so that everyone can download it, modify it, and use it according to the spirit of Open Source Software. I call the program I wrote Simgipunq, which stands for "Simple Gila Punya Quiz", or roughly translated to Damn Simple Quiz. Cause that's what it is....

But then, I still had monday and tuesday off. And feeling geeky all week really got me down. So I decided to bring emil with me, to join his really cool uncle doing some wall climbing. Monday evening, after running around doing my errants, Emil, my sis (Leilanie), my brother Inlaw and I, went to Summit USJ. Emil and myself went to the training for wall climbing. There are two roles that you play when you are wall climbing. The climber and the belayer.

The belayer helps the climber belay down and make sure that he is safe while climbing. He also makes sure that the climber doesn't fall straight to the ground (which could be really bad if this happens to you). The techniques of belaying are as follow:


1) Make sure you have the "figure of 8", and the carabiner with you. Attached the carabiner to your harnest and insert the "figure of 8" into your carabiner like in the picture.
2) Fold the rope like in the picture with the end of the rope on the right side of your hand (on the left side of your hand if you are left handed) and insert the loop through the "figure of 8" like in the picture.
3) Then, insert the loop into the carabiner and screw to lock the carabiner.
4) Finally, just like how Emilio is doing it, stand firm and get two hands pulling downwards to make sure the climber doesn't fall:)


The other role that you play when rock climbing is the climber's role. This is the role that you get to be a monkey and climb rocks. But there are a few techniques about roping that you need to know before climbing. The techniques are shown below:


1) Before you tie the the rope to your harnest, make sure you have enough length to tie the knot. Here is the ISO 9001 recommended length, with your hands stretch out on one side and the other holding the rope.
2) Then, curl the rope, like in the picture no. 2, such that you'll see a figure 6.
3) Wrap the rope around like picture 3, and insert the end of the rope through the figure 6 hole. You should be able to see the figure 8 on the rope.
4) Insert the end of the rope through your harnest, from top to down.
5) Insert the rope through the knot, by following where the rope came from like in picture 5.
6) Keep following the rope and inserting the end of the rope through all required holes.
7) Make sure you have a very firm knot. You don't want the knot to get loose anytime while you are climbing :)


Only when the belayer and the climber is ready, then you can start climbing. Here are some pictures of us in action. We went on tuesday too, we figured, we didn't have enough the first day.....












Emil had a lot of fun. We all did. Even Fariz, my brother inlaw tried it out. Now, I know I like geeky stuff and do geeky things. But hopefully, to my nephew(Emil), he will be telling his friends that...."Ohhh, I have such a cool uncle...."

11 comments:

  1. Joey, thank you for taking the time to take Emil (and Fariz & I) to Summit for the wall climbing do.

    I could see that Emil has learnt not only team work and responsibility; but also he has learnt to coordinate his movement and managed to keep him feet firmly on the ground (in its true sense) - you know how clumsy he can be. :)

    Thanks Joey.
    You're simply cool !
    I know he told his girlfriends that he went wall climbing. hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joey,

    I go to Summit USJ quite often but never come across the wall climbing. Which level? But I know where the cinema is!! haha..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Majesty Tengku Ina,

    I suppose If you know where the cinema is, then its not so hard to find the wall climbing gym. If you walk away from the cinema, towards the bowling alley, you'll see the the excalators right next to the karaoke boxes. The wall climbing action will be on the 4th floor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey bro,
    Remember me or not, Ah Bong lah...
    wah...you so terror ah...climb wall huh?
    Want to be spiderman ka?
    Ha ha ha...be careful, can be dangerous oh..., but looks like you are doing ok there.
    Oh, by the way, Happy 2006 to you bro. Hope you get your PhD dream come true. Remember that all you need is believe in yourself, your quest and your inner desire to achieve. Be preservere despite all odds. Like climbing the wall, its all in your HANDS and no one else's; your life is all in your hands -in your making.
    Every step you make will move you higher up and up. BUt should you fall, no worry, stand up and climb again. There is no shy in this world, only shy people fail to climb again.
    I learnt that suceessful people are actually people who fell many many times.
    So bro, be want you can be...(but not in the army huh....)
    Ok, so long, you have fun in 2006.
    I still same same lah...trying to climb higher this year.
    Ah Bong

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ah Bong,

    How can I forget you. You are suppose to tell me when you are super rich, so that you can give me my scholarship and I get to study for free....heheheh

    Thanks for the encouragement again, good luck for you in 2006. Hope you'll make a lot of money this year..and xinnian kuaile and gong xi fa cai.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alamak... Your Majesty mana pulak ni..

    Thanks Joey for the direction. I'll probably let my kids try this wall climbing..

    I like the words of encouragement by your sis and Ah Bong. Shall relate this to both my kids..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dazzling,
    Thanks for the compliments. Bila kita nak gie wall climbing nie...

    T.Ina,
    No problem. I really think it wall climbing can built some character in your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joey,
    some people say the wall smell like peoples arm pit, is it true?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know, I didn't really make an effort to smell the wall. In fact, I think it smells like chalk due to people using a lot of chalk on their hands. The ropes kinda smell though. However, I wouldn't know if the ropes smells like armpit or not, cause its not like a hobby of mine to smell people's armpit:) Hay, wanna try this sport sometime jep?

    ReplyDelete

I don't really wish to moderate any comments, but its necessary to avoid spammers.