Thursday, September 04, 2008

Dad with courage, mom with love.

This is a continuation from Family Visit (part 3)

From South Dakota, we drove back to Kent, Ohio on the 23rd, August and arrived back in Kent on the 24th. I was in a hurry to reach home for classes on the 25th. While being back home, I brought mom and dad shopping a lot. Mom and dad was particularly fond of the Outlet malls where mom got herself shoes from Hush Puppies, sandals from Crocs and handbags from Liz Claiborne. Dad got himself a really good deal on Samsonite travel luggage.



Also we had a chance to go to Cleveland. Particularly, to get more food. There is a really nice halal store here in Cleveland and many Asian stores that can help an Asian Muslim like myself go crazy stocking up on spices.
Mom wanted to have a gathering here for some of the nice Malaysian folks who have helped me out when I first arrived.


My small apartment is hardly a complete kitchen. I'm a bachelor so cooking is hardly a priority. Which makes a season cook like my Mom feel a bit uneasy trying to cook and entertain about 10 Malaysian's in Kent. So we also had to run to stores and get a few things like a nice serving bowl, a serving spoon, and a blender to blend the chilly. After all that, she was all happy as I helped out what I can to help her prepare the food. As always, Mom's cooking is the best.


So fast so soon, and they were already gone on the 31st. The night before, I helped them pack their bags. I was indeed sad, but always had problems showing it. Mom was emotional about it for a second, as my Dad remained calm and stayed macho.
Even all grown up, being independent for so many years alone in a foreign country, I know now that Mom never felt comfortable for me being away. I guess to her eyes, I'm still her boy. Undoubtedly, that's what a mother's love is, unconditional and always full of love. And I also realized, that Mom's strength comes from Dad's courage. I know he feels sad too, but Dad had always been good in showing a brave front, as he remain calm and assured Mom with his demeanor, that this is a parents sacrifice.

To Mom and Dad, thank you for coming and visit me. I miss the both of you a lot. I might not show it well. I guess like father like son, but I assure you, inside, I wish I could just keep my parents here in Kent. This entry can hardly utter the words of what I feel. Love you Mom and Dad, and come again next year yea....:)

11 comments:

  1. oh....sure they will be back. dont worrylah...
    postlah some pix of the gathering w the 10 frenx....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel/Sis: Don't have pictures of the gathering lah, its all on dad's camera. Unfortunately, tak sempat nak download.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ramai gak tu 10 friends.
    apart from KSU, where else they reside?

    ReplyDelete
  4. mnajem: 10 friends tu inclusive of their family. So about 3 families lah....Kak Shima's family, Abg Rashid's family and myself. Total head count tu, a bit more than 10 lah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "mom cooking is the best"

    bro,
    nothing can beat "soul food" rite? I can image the heaveness. I'm happy for you..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea, mmg best lah. Cooking nie takes experience, though she tried to teach me how to cook. It never taste the same. Maybe its her extra secret ingredient of adding a little vitamin L. Anyway having mom around really spoil my regime. Mmg tak leh control makan lah babe....

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey! i know that CK tote ;) tak raser mcm pernah tgk ke joey??? :D

    so now u have a blender ;) takyah la guna cili masam tu dah kan :D

    another secret ingredient of mom's cooking is the "air tgn ibu" hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  8. zatil: Tapi kan, tak jadi beli beg CK tu. Yeah, skrg dah ader blender, tapi kalau tak pandai masak, susah gak....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aku tak tau apasal tetiba aku teringat lagu Boney M: Daddy Cool

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joey, yeah...very touching entry...how's the studies going on? have started mine too, but in Melbourne :) guess my fate was not written in the states..selamat hari raya btw!!

    ReplyDelete

I don't really wish to moderate any comments, but its necessary to avoid spammers.