Monday, September 15, 2008

The Marvelous Adventures of the Amazing Dr. Rizal


Look, its a it's a bird, it's a plane, its wait....it's Dr.Rizal?....poing, poing, poing......
As I was day dreaming about the day I would finally finish my PhD. I dreamt about me having a Dr. title. I know, I can make better use of my time by actually doing some work and reading relevant papers, but even Superman have the right to dream....doesn't he? While berangan(fantasizing) having a Dr. title, I search the web to look for other Dr. Rizal's out there. What I found was there was not a lot of Dr. Rizal out there, which made me a little worried. Could it be people with the name Rizal don't really go far?

I did however found an action comic art about Dr. Jose Rizal my ancestral heritage, which I've blogged about not so long ago. The comic was called "The Marvelous Adventures of The Amazing Dr. Rizal". Apparently, the fictional comic is about a hero Character Dr. Rizal based on the real Phillipines hero Dr. Jose Rizal. I must respect the artist, Gerry Alanguilan and the Philippines people who support his work.

The artist really tries to understand Dr. Jose Rizal's character and try to immortalized him in his version of fiction based on history. We don't see this in Malaysia. In fact, our forefather, who helped build the nation are being questioned for their wisdom. Nobody actually takes time to study the characters of our Malaysian forefathers and try to immortalize them in a more superior form. Instead, we condemn them, like we condemn the tenacity and naiveness of Tok Janggut for being brave to go against the British, condemn the unfairness of Tunku Abdul Rahman for his wisdom to keep peace in Malaya and create a social contract between the three races which helped create the Malaysian constitution and an independent Malaysia or comdemn the cruelness of the still living Tun Dr. Mahathir for his shrewd mind to put Malaysia in the world map--is already being forgotten even before his death.

There are more heroes of Malaysia here, which are not mentioned, but the thing is, we Malays forget too easily of their heroic contributions towards Malaysia, and instead of trying to take their good characters and contributions and immortalized them, we slowly cover them in a veil of darkness and hate without knowing why. If this kind of attitude carries on, we would have no heroes that we can look back to, we will have no heroes that we can look up to and stand on the shoulders of giants like our forefathers, so that we can see further than what they saw. We can never reach above the horizons to see our future, and to reach our dreams. It will indeed make Malaysia fall into darkness and bring us further into a generation of hate and despair.

I do like the idea of Dr. Rizal being a hero. Better still, he kinda looks like me...hehehe, except for the mustache, and him being a bit chunky, he does looks like me. I mean the receding hair line is the closest resemblance. Anyway, attached are two more comic arts. Just to protect myself againts copyright laws here, and for your references, the artistic comic art belongs to Gerry Alanguilan and I got the pictures from....here, here and here.

14 comments:

  1. Good Luck Dr. Rizal to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. receding hair ye? dah mcm a trait in phd candidates kot. XD

    zafri (ya... btn 2008)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jep: Hahaha, ko pun receding hairline ker. Welcome to the club bro....

    Amacam Ithaca....doing good in Cornell?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm.. the resemblance is there I hv to say.. perhaps u shud grow a mustache n keep ur fringe long... am a little curious if u'd actually look like the comic character.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Rizal is not far from your dream, bro. One day people will remember you "da Dr. Rizal". It might not be a book or memorabilia, cukup la kawan2 kau ingat.

    And mustache? Gelak berguling aku atas lantai.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous: Thank you for the luck

    Eye Knee: Mustache ker...tulah, ader gak terfikir nak bela ala2 hitler.

    Ayoi: Cukup lah kalau kawan2 ingat....I dont intend to be so ambitious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. joey,

    cornell's good, ithaca's so so n food's bad!

    ralat: btn 2007 lor.. bkn 2008. salam ayoi..

    ReplyDelete
  8. bro... really lah bro.. with misai you do look like him.

    I do hope you WILL get ur DR soon ... AAMINN

    all the best bro..

    ReplyDelete
  9. jep: That's good that you are doing fine in Ithaca....Nanti aku ingat nak gie melawat hang lah....so keep in touch yea.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. marjan: Hahaha, tulah, muka org filipina nie kira lebih kurang jer semua kut....tu yang mcm sama tu....tapi, tak leh bayangkan ader misai.....

    Thank you for doakan....AMINNN

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dr. Rizal or Dr. Joey? I think you will always be Dr. Joey to us - US as -Family lah.
    See you on the weekend of Oct 6 - block your calendar ok. We go buy croc shoes and by the way do you need anything else from Malaysia? Take care bro.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well Joey, they do sounds real to me and you lay your points well. We don't really appreciate the history with our forefathers have always been the exploited topics.

    Takpa Joey, I'll wait for you to come back then kita masuk bertanding :D All the best for the PHD!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fariz: Sure, remind me before you leave yea...

    Ian: Aku tak minat nak masuk bertanding. But aku leh jadi best supporter hang. Thank you for the PHD luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The people DEMANDS UPDATES! UPDATES PLEASE! He he he he. Saje nak pressure you. :-P

    ReplyDelete

I don't really wish to moderate any comments, but its necessary to avoid spammers.