Friday, May 22, 2009

Summer is here!

Yes, the spring semester is over, and for students like me, its an indication that summer is here. The sun is out and smiling again, the birds are chirping, the flowers are blooming and the deers are out and about running in the wild. As the nature surroundings becomes alive, the Kent State University oddly becomes dead. People are on their summer break, parking lots are empty and there is nobody left in the department except for foreign graduate students like myself who dreading the research work that we have to do and administrative staff who just can't wait for the day to be over.

Because of the summer break, some facilities in the Kent State University are close.  They are temporarily close or their hours of operations are shorter. This includes the gym, which is currently closed for maintenance and will reopen on the 26th of May with shorter hours of operation. But that did not stop me from my daily routine. So rather than going swimming, Paul (my exercise buddy) and myself started the habit of running. At about 6.30, I would park my car at the department, and we would run to a reserve park own by the biology department for ecological research here in Kent. I believe the park is used by the ecology and biology researchers, but it has  a nice trail for the public to use and run and enjoy the outdoors. The trail brings us all the way to the Kent State DIX football stadium. 

Along the trail, there are blooming flowers, and sometimes, we are lucky enough to see a deer enjoying the green during the summer. We tried to get closer to the deer, however, it got scared and ran away disappearing in the midst of the forest. I guess, deers are not very social beings. Along the trail, there are also a few rabbits, ducks and gooses running around. We are not the only ones running though, some people cycle, some veterans walk romantically together, and there are also young couples walking their dogs. Most of the time you see single jocks running with their Ipod.


We usually head back before 8 since it would be almost dark by then. Anyways, can't wait for the gym to be open again. While it is nice to run outdoors, i do suffer from allergies, and outdoor running just make my eyes puff up and my nose clog up. :) So that's it, a short update from me. I know I haven't written anything in my blog for  a while, I have been busy with research work and all. So buh-bye for now...and see you later on my next blog entry.

8 comments:

  1. jelesnya.... when it gonna be my turn step my feet to States.

    ReplyDelete
  2. best best!!! dah summer... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi bro,
    So summer has finally arrives...very good. I still remember how cold it was during winter in January when I was there - it's practically freezing. I guess this time around will be FUN. WE will be in Boston, Michigan and Chicago next week. Not sure if we have time to meet you. Your sis and Emil really (really) want to go to Michigan - their "first HOME". And to meet Regina. You take care. Fariz

    ReplyDelete
  4. mnajem: Well, u won't be jealous to know that I'm broke most of the time:)

    Zatil: Yea, summer is a relief. Aku dah tak tahan sejuk2 nie, dah tua kut.

    Fariz: Make sure to watch the whales, Cheers Bar, Harvard and MIT in Boston, Field Museum and the city in Chicago. Have fun then...catch you guys next time if you guys cant make it this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. summer at States is about 2 things. Movies and Outdoors!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joey,

    Mom said you called yesterday and that you're very busy..... and as Fariz said.... Emil and I really want to go back to MSU (it's been 14 years) ..... if you're somehow not busy on Saturday, 6th June, wanna meet up at MSU? hee hee

    Catch you next time, if not next week, OK. Take care and congratulations on your PhD journey, thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer ni tak balik Malaysia ke bro?

    ReplyDelete
  8. sysadmin: tak balik lah....byk lah kerja nak siapkan...:(

    ReplyDelete

I don't really wish to moderate any comments, but its necessary to avoid spammers.