Sunday, March 09, 2008

Brain Teaser

When I started, I thought It was not going to be that hard. And I'll be following the true nature of my heart, and It would be easy. But then, the path seems to be much more difficult that I thought. It's not merely a brain teaser. How do you answer a question like below.....
Basic Chord requires log N steps to lookup a query. Even log N messages, per lookup may be too many for some applications. It seems Chord can be generalized to make longer stride in each hop. The distance to query can be reduced by a factor 1/(1+d) in each lookup hop for various values of d. Derive the generalized complexity of the following: How far each finger should point, How many hops will be required to lookup a query?

I don't know. I'm sure the answer is somewhere, but, it does get tiring trying to make conclusions of what the statement above means, and what possible answers it could have. I won't give up yet, but will try my best to endure it for as long as I can.

8 comments:

  1. Dah few days aku visit blog kau, tapi sampai hari still aku tak paham brain teaser kau ni. Jangan kata nak jawab, paham soalan pun tak. Huhuhu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ayoi, benda nie mmg buang masa betul. Its merely some smart guy came up with a smart algorithm for routing, that can be generalized. Apparently, the algorithm is one of the initial idea of overlay networks, that makes applications like kazaa, gnutella, bittorrent and .... possible today. But who cares right....janji boleh torrent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joey: From an end user POV, aku tak pedulik pasal algorithm and what not. As long as I can do what I wanna do. Hehehe. Anyways, let the smart one do the work, and the end users enjoy the benefits. Now we know who's smarter, hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joey, can I link your blog at mine?

    (popeye)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can definitely do that...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joey... update lah cepat. Nak dengar cite orang KSU nih. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salam Bro Joey,

    Takbir :) When I read your blog it reminds me that human are really the best of god creation. All of this algorithm is not needed if you can get a human and paste it as your algorithm. You can get any dude and teach him till it understand and just issue a command "do it".. "hoi dol,..kalau log N macam nie buat ini macam..yada yada yada".

    But human ada mood lah pulak.. kadang2 kalau mood tak baik 2+1 pun boleh introduce human error. Bro thank god you don't have to come out on how to do algorithm on human mood.. ini lagi susah kot:p

    Bro, I'm not going to bagi ceramah agama here tapi I've seen a bumper sticker like "if everything else fail there is Jesus" That is from our fellow christian friend. Tapi kita is a bit different. We _should start_ with bismillah. My point is, we can ask god for the answer. I'm sure you are aware about this but kot kot you over look this part. I'm just reminding jer bro. No harm kan?

    yet another brain teaser :). Happy Maulidul Rasul. Takbir sikit...

    regards,
    Marjan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed, my faith have not run astray. I do start with Bismillah, and pray to god for answers. I'm sure in his mysterious ways, he answers me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

I don't really wish to moderate any comments, but its necessary to avoid spammers.