Saturday, April 26, 2008

How I've Been Settling Down

Before.
It has been difficult trying to settle down. But I try my best to make this place my temporary home. In an attempt to survive for the next few years, I've been slowly buying cheap stuff when I can to occupy my new home. When I first arrived, I had to sleep on the floor. It was really cold, so I immediately got a comforter to keep me warm. It didn't work that well. But not like I had a better choice. I eventually had to resort to buying a brand new bed online, since my back was starting to take its toll.

Since I came in the middle of the year, finding an apartment was difficult. I didn't feel like staying in a sublet with someone, so I had to settle for a much bigger apartment, a 2 bedroom, though I only need one, there was no vacant one room or studio apartment. And I got the basement unit, which means, my window is as high as the surface outside. Which makes it a bit scary since people can see what's inside. So I got my shower curtains first to cover my windows. Thanks to Abg. Rashid, who helped donating some window curtains and Rice cooker for me to use later.

Like any immature adult, what I got first was a TV. I got a used TV for USD 150 by hunting through craiglist. The cable for the TV came a day after the TV arrived. The TV was nice, but, I still didn't have any furniture. And for weeks, I had to study on the floor, and eat on the floor. I also managed to get someone to deliver me the drawers to put the TV on. It was not in perfect condition, but the person was willing to get rid of it for USD 10. So I agreed, and after some clean-up, it didn't look that bad.

Finally, also from craiglist, I managed to get a dinner table. Eating on the floor really makes me feel depressed. So when I found in craiglist that someone wanted to sell their dinner table for USD 70, I wasted no time to get it. It was also in a bad condition, but after some manual fixing of tightening the screws, it was good as new. I also got some small corner tables from a second hand shop, for about USD 5 each.



While being here, whenever I can, I go and visit god's home in a Masjid near by. I must admit, sometimes I miss friday prayers at the Masjid, due to class,meetings with supervisor or just plain over exhausted, but I try my best to go when I can. And the people there are modern Muslims and I enjoy Kutbah, much more than the ones I can remember back home in Malaysia. The Kutbah here has a modern perspective to it, and encourages love and success in the present day lives. Back home, they talk a lot more about after life.

After
Being here for about 5 months now, I must say, I'm all settled. And the connections in the Masjid, with some of the Muslim brother's, has helped me settled down faster. I found out a Muslim family who was leaving the states and they were selling off their stuff. So I got some of their furniture, particularly, a 2 seat and 3 seat sofa, A TV stand, carpets and many more, and I got all that for USD 200, which was a pretty good deal.


With everything settled, I have no excuse but to concentrate on my research. This summer will be a new beginning. It will be a totally different challenge for me, as I try to finish up my prototype for my research, the view of the ahead journey looks like a very high ascending slope. I sure hope the view up there will be worth it, cause from down here, at the current moment, I'm sighing to myself with despair.....but still eager for the challenge. So family and friends, who care, come back to hear all about it from time to time.

23 comments:

  1. Pretty cheap. USD200 and you got all those stuffs.

    But that apartment is way to large for you. With all those things occupying that space, I doubt you'll move somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice home bro!! I would like to visit you someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, well, the guy was in a hurry to leave the country, so I was lucky on that.

    Well, I still might be moving, but not that soon lah. I would like to be closer to campus if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marjan: Well, you can come anytime brother. Of course food and accommodation for you and your partner would be free....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woww... the interior looks really nice even though it's second hand stuff. Congrats Joey, your place look so homey... :-) Good luck with the ongoing research in summer... and hopefully you'll end up in Mexico somewhere; sand, sea and surf here come Joey! He he he he.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ash: I'm no interior designer, but it looks good enough for me, at the meantime. Most of the stuff are second hand, and like the saying, beggars can't be choosy. About Mexico, yea, that would be awesome, can't wait to livin la vida loca.

    ReplyDelete
  7. waa... nice house..good for u bro..kat sini tk dapat le kalo nk apartment mcm tu and USD200 for all the furniture.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice crib.

    Anyway about the khutbah tuh, I have to agree with you Joey. Aku pun rasa khutbah kat overseas more "enjoyable" than local ones...as long as they are in English, not Urdu or Arabic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shu: Well, over here, you kinda have to be opportunistic. Sometimes you get good deals like that, so have to keep looking around. Good thing is the consumer spending here is really high.....so there is always people buying and throwing out old stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joey: I adore you're effort to setup your apartment. Neat and cozy for a bachelor.

    Are sure you're staying there alone? *wink.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ayoi/Azrul: Thank you, I try my best to make it neat and cozy. Being a perfectionist nie, Its a neurotic compulsive behaviorial response when trying to make things looks good. I can't help it, nie pun still not satisfied. Yes, I am staying alone, but occasionally, I get visitors, my seniors' kids, who like to come and jump around, which I don't mine since they can be entertaining. As for what you are implying, I wish I was not alone, but maybe will be lucky in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joey dear,

    I MISS YOU >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    :(

    But I am happy to see you're settling down well.

    The cushions you have on the sofa give a nice touch to your hall.

    Your home looks very nice. The carpet almost look like what I have here.

    Have you gotten your bed? Kenapa didn't make up the bed, so, no pics ke?
    hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Sis:

    Miss you too. The cushion came with the sofa. The carpet also came with the sofa...hehehe Sekali harung lah I borong. Yes, I have gotten a bed, the reason there are no pictures cause my room is messy. So you can hardly tell the bed from my laundry basket...hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joey: Great to hear you did have some company around once in a while. Tgh nak plan nak pegi tempat kau je ni. And kalau jadi nak ikut kami this end of May trip downsouth let us know. Hope you can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amran: Yea, think because the people giving the Khutbah are professional people cum imam. So, their focus are more practical.

    ReplyDelete
  16. seems like ur house is ready to welcome us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Zatil: Yes it is. You are welcome

    ReplyDelete
  18. Caya la joey hang ada talent interior design salut....anyway glad that you are comfortable with your new apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sad: hahahaha.don't know about interior design, more like no choice. That's what available, so being a beggar, I can't really be fussy. But I was lucky to get good cheap stuff.:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow ! That's a beautiful bachelor house !!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ch00bits: For a bachelor, its alright. Though, I would imagine it being much messier if i had kids running around.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Joey....

    not bad ehhh......ur taste in decoration the house....

    Wan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wan: Thanks....yea, i kinda got a neck for it...hehehe

    ReplyDelete

I don't really wish to moderate any comments, but its necessary to avoid spammers.