Friday, April 11, 2008

Something lurking in the Dark

It was close to 3am, and the only thing playing on the tv was just an unpleasant ghost story screaming about something gruesome. I dare not look at it, not because I'm scared, but I just don't want an ugly bloody image running in my head before I go to sleep.

Its almost spring, and the air was slightly warm. As the temperature got warmer, there was no need for the heater to be up, and at 3 am in the morning, without the mechanical fan clanking and whining from the heater, it was awfully quiet. I tried to listen for any ominous threat. Not that I'm paranoid, but one cannot be too careful while being alone.

After turning off all the lights, I just realized how ridiculous it was to even be afraid or even let myself be slightly concern. So I just smiled to myself, and in my mind, a self monologue says,"hay silly, go to sleep, its late. You're not afraid, are you!!!! hahaha". And, convincing myself, I smiled, and replied my own monologue conversation, "Me, afraid, heck no....I'm Rizal, never been afraid, and never will". The monologue was not as assuring as I expected, but went to bed anyways. I tried to sleep, but the room was warm and it made me feel uncomfortable. So I went to the window, opened it to let the cool spring breeze in, I just can't sleep when it is terribly warm.

It was cooler now, and I feel much more comfortable. I was about to dose off, and slowly I can feel the world of concerns floating away. And just before I was off to lalaland, a sudden noise disturbed my sense of tranquility. I was awaken by some clanking noise right at the window. My eyes suddenly opened wide in the dark. I can't see anything, but I can surely hear something breathing, whizzing, and scratching at the window.

What could it be? My heart rate jumped, my senses heighten and my mind was imagining 1001 things per second, as images of unsightly things races through my mind. There was definitely something at the window, and I just remembered, that the damn window was opened. If there was really something evil there, it can surely get in, and I cannot risk that from happening. So I rushed to the window to close it , and like in the scary movie, as I pushed the curtains to the side, and I saw a pair of yellow eyes looking straight at me. "What the f***?" I jumped, and immediately I was taken a back from the window, as the curtains now block my view from what was a mysterious pair of yellow eyes staring at me behind the curtain window.

I must admit, the yellow eyes got me shaken, but I can still think logically. And my logic mind says I got to close the window, cause it was still opened, and I got to do that fast. So I immediately turn on the lights and went for my second attempt to close the window. I push the curtains to the sides, and now, there was nothing there. Damn....was I imagining it, or was there really something lurking in the dark.

I close the window while keep looking what evil things could possibly be outside. Nothing, not a sound, no floating yellow eyes, there was just a few branches that was hardly a threat. Again, my monologue says, "am I crazy....could I be imagining it". I close the lights again to go to sleep, but then, I can hear the whizzing, clanking and scratching noise again. I brave myself, but this time, I turned on the lights before pushing the curtain to the side, and this time....I was surprise.....

I was surprise to see this creature that lurks in the dark. I'm not sure what it was, but it didn't look harmful. Or at least, I didn't think it could harm me. I immediately ran to take my camera. I managed to take a picture of it before it ran away.

I'm not sure what it was. It looked like a rat, but it was far too big to be a rat. It was as big as a cat, or a small dog. It looked like a rabbit, but the ears were too small. It looked like a squirrel, but the tail was too short to be a squirrel. I'm not sure what it was, but it definitely looked curious, and was equally afraid of me, as I was afraid of him. After taking his pictures, he got afraid of the flashes, and ran away. I felt sorry for the creature, it was just probably hungry and just woke up from hibernation. I still wonder what this creature is called though....and what is it, what species....If anybody recognize this creature that was lurking in the Dark, please do tell me about it.

18 comments:

  1. I'm not sure Joey but could it be a prairie dog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Azwad: Good guess bro. It does look like a prairie dog or somekind of class of rodents. I looked at several pictures, but not sure what class of rodent it is. Though similarities to a prairie dog is highly possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aku penah tengok pix binatang ni, ada kawan online kat jepun bela. Ferret kot:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferret

    ReplyDelete
  4. mnajem: It does look like a ferret, but the ears are a bit different. On the other hand it looks like a prairie dog gak, and sometimes it just looks like a weasel. I'm not sure myself, not an expert, i've googled on ferrets, but i can't find one that looks like my picture. I'm thinking if i can feed him and get it domesticated....boleh lah jadi pet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joey: You can be a good novelist if you decide to quit the IT world. Very descriptive mcm Stephen King la kau punya thriller. Hehehe.

    Your "visitor" looks kinda cute actually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ayoi/Azrul: Yes, it does looks kinda cute. About quitting IT and become a thriller writer tu, not sure lah kan. Malaysia maner ader market, Malaysian's don't read lah brader. But they sure like the internet...

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES!!! I'm a Malaysian and I LOOOVVVVEEE the internet... heheh..

    I pun baru nak suggest ferret... but i guess that one's out... try asking ur local neighbour... they might know... ntah ntah a mutated cencorot kot.. heheh..

    and i too hv to agree with ayoi... love the writing... (i miss reading ur blog whenever i'm in yangon..)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I may guess .. could it be a possum?

    ReplyDelete
  9. eyeknee: Well, good thing is that blogspot has an archive. So whenever, you are free, you can get online and check out the archives:) You should start blogging too, its nice to know how friends are going...

    Anonymous: I know who you are, but your guess is the best so far....I think its a north American Possum. Virginia Opossum. After looking at a lot of pictures, this is the best similarity to so far. But my research says that this animal is illegal to be made a pet, and its a wild animal and sometimes can be dangerous. So good thing i tak try to feed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think its a Tasmanian Devil. Someone must have smuggle them into America. Or its a cross between Tasmanian Devil and an American shrew.
    Looks good for BBQ over the weekend. Trap it lah...no no just kidding...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fariz: Hahaha, i really thought it was the devil that night. But devils I'm not that afraid of, cause I'm quite a devil myself..hehehehe;)
    Catch and BBQ, I'll wait when you come here.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahah mmg suspen la hang punya story..kakaak...anyway...comey la the 'thing' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shu: Mmg comel, but i read that the possem, bila threaten can bite, and gigi dia boleh tahan gak lah. So cute2 pun, aku kena berhati-hati gak lah.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. bro, that's a possum and stay away from it dude,
    it's vicious if it thinks you are attacking it...they got one hell of jaw...anyway, it's norturnal so probably looking for food around your home....make sure it does not nest around where you stay, u will get into big problem mate....

    ReplyDelete
  15. BJ: Thanks for the warning bro. Luckily I didn't try to feed it or play with it like a pet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, it's a cute little possum!!!I love possums!!!They're so cute, especially when a mummy possum walks about with her babies all hitching a ride on her back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A possum? I agree it is a cute one haha! Oh, btw uncle, check out my new blog. It's called guitar talk ( www.guitarEZ.blogspot.com ) You should check it out and well , Oh, just go and check it out!! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joey,
    don't know why.... but the idea of possums just strikes me like home run.

    Things lurking in the dark..... can be scary when one is all alone on a cold (not so wintery) night ........
    hee hee.

    ReplyDelete

I don't really wish to moderate any comments, but its necessary to avoid spammers.