Sunday, January 20, 2008

Classes in the snow....

I arrived the Akron/Canton Airport, in Ohio at about 10pm. luckily, there was also another International Student from Italy, Aurora also waiting for the shuttle that we were suppose to take to get to Kent. I stayed over night in the temporary housing until Kak Shima came and pick me up the next day. I just had to try out living in the dorms for one day. It's been a while since I was just a freshmen student living in the dorms. But I'm a graduate student now, so I had to move out and find an apartment somewhere.
When I arrived, it was all nice and sunny. The weather was not so cold and surprisingly for the beginning of January, it was not as cold as I expected. Thank god for that. I don't think I can stand the cold weather that well anymore. I think its age. As one grows older, the body just gets weaker. But spoken too soon. After the first day of class, I managed to get an apartment, but then it started snowing. Kak Shima's kids however got really excited about the snow, so we went out and took some pictures. Above is a picture of Kak Shima's kids (Syasya, Zahin) and myself.


So I slept in the house after the first day of class and woke up early to go to class the next day. My house is damn empty for now, and I had to do a lot of shopping just to get some necessities--will talk more about shopping later. As I walk out of the door, I was surprise to see how much snow have accumulated. And it was really windy. I stop to take the morning air and took a picture.




I finally had to rush out and walk towards Kak Shima's house. Since, I'm currently a bagger who gets free rides to class for now. Thanks to Kak Shima, my rides to class are now free and I get to escape from the torturing wait in the cold for a bas. As I was walking alone, in the cold, I took a picture of myself. Well, thats an awful closeup, but thats the best shot i can take. I tried to smile, but I was trying hard to control the shivers.



Here is the walkway towards the CS department. I still had a lot of things to settle at the Student Center. So after my first class, at 9.15-10.30, I ran to do some errants. My next class starts at 12.30, so I ran to make my student accounts, and settle some other stuff that I had to do.





This is a picture of the Math Science and Computer Science building. Its the building in red, with the curvy roof top. I guess this is the building I will be spending a lot of my time doing don't know what..... Hopefully it's something to do with my PhD. hehehe

Well, that's some pictures for your eye candy.



Well, I will talk more about shopping and the pursuit of happiness soon. I really feel like a bagger here in the States. But, one needs to survive, and we have to do things to survive right....
Keep you posted later.....

19 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ilya(shu): Think you won'tbe jealous lah, it was nice only for like 6 hours. After that, the snow and cold was kinda annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right bro, I sort of "enjoy" snow for a while when I was in Canada many years ago. Then after a while I became so "afraid" of snow. Too much snow is a problem, you can hardly walk (its like walking on jelly) and if you drive, you need at least 15 minutes to brush the snow off your car and another 10 minutes to heat-up your car. But then again, too much of anything is not good I guess. You have fun there and while you are at it - make the BEST out of it. Remember to take CARE and don't forget to "enjoy life too" - I miss this part, cos I only study. Now I feel the "opportunity LOST" - I did not take time to "enjoy while I was abroad." Don't make the same mistake like me ;-) Everyone at home misses YOU bro. BUT WE will see you SOON...

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's snowing... nice.
    just wondering when it'll be my turn.

    btw,just wanna see the lab facilities over there.. -gizmos that we hardly find in our own land-given any

    ReplyDelete
  5. fariz: Thanks bro....I'll try to make a mental note out of it. All work and no play makes joey a dull boy.

    mnajem: Your time will come sooner than you think.....enjoy while you can. I'll try to take pictures of those geeky stuff you asked for:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish u all the best in your studies. The one in Beijing tu really scary kan kalau akulah dah nangis satu baldi. I rather stay at the airport than go wandering sorang2. Penakut ba aku ni...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Joey,

    Wishing you the warmest HAPPY BIRTHDAY, on this cold winter day.

    InsyaAllah... we see you soon.
    soon.... after Emil's PMR.


    HAPPY BIRTHDAY and do enjoy your day.


    With love,
    Kak Leila,
    Abg Fariz
    and Emillio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know you but after reading your sister's blog on how she misses you and all... so, what the heck -

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    and stay warm..!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wann: Yeah, it was scary for me too...but I kinda like the danger....

    Zetty: Thanks

    Sis Leila: Hi, thank you for the warm wishes. Do hope you will come over....:)

    Anonymous: Thats nice of you....thank you....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday dude.. good to see you settled into the bitter cold.. Your transit in China was cool! sempat lagi tu..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zailan: Thanks for the warm wishes. Yea,almost settled here, but still looking for a lot of stuff. China was indeed a cool adventure, makes sure you take the time to do the same when your time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I demand to see more pictures!! :-P Especially of (new) car and apartment. He he he he.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm back in kl... and finally managed to post comments... (in Yangon i can view but not post..).. somehow this trip home feels a lil' different cos i know we won't be able to meet up even if we try.. i know there r times back then when we didn't manage to melepak bila i'm in town, but then i know u're around... now it just feels.. *sigh*... well, all the best joey.. i know u'll survive cos u've given me much wise inspiration on surviving life... miss u much and happy belated birthday...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Macam dah pernah sampai je apartment complex tu.

    ReplyDelete
  15. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, saljiiiiii...bila laaa time aku nak main salji nihhhhh

    ReplyDelete

I don't really wish to moderate any comments, but its necessary to avoid spammers.